Sunday, June 12, 2011

What will you do with your one wild and precious life?

During college, we had this question posed to us: "What will you do with your one wild and precious life?" It must have been the theme or something because it popped up everywhere. I didn't think much of it until recently, several years after graduation. But now, I find myself asking that question (guess I got something out of that private school tuition after all). What will I do with my one wild and precious life?

The answer? For me, at the moment, it is to live life to the fullest. So, for now, that means spending quality time with people that I love, whether that means learning to SCUBA dive with my husband, driving down to see my brother for his surprise 30th birthday party, flying out to see my grandparents in the midwest. Life is precious, not just yours, but those surrounding you.

What will I do with my wild side? Well, I've heard Africa is pretty wild and fantastic. I think dear husband and I will go on an African safari sometime in the next two years.

For now, that's how I'm interpreting that saying. In another year, it might change again. But for now, we are doing things to help live our life more fully. For us, we cut back on the electronics for a while. Remember how, when we were younger, our parents limited our TV time? (At least mine did...) My husband and I did that for ourselves a month or so ago. An hour a day of a show OR a game, and that was it. Suddenly, movie nights were a treat again, not an everyday occurrence. Don't get me wrong, I think Netflix and Hulu are great, but there comes a point where On Demand is a little too on demand. Where is the line between reality and fantasy?

It's okay to take a break from the electronics. It's okay to step out of your comfort zone. After all, there's always something more interesting to do. In ten years, what will you say when you look back at yourself now? How you sat in front of the TV or computer or spent hours texting and playing games on your phone? Or will you recall instead the time you went out and built a tree fort (by yourself, with your siblings, with your kids) or drove to Wendy's and rolled a die to see what meal you'd end up with or decided to buy a trip to Africa at an auction?

Sometimes sitting at home watching a movie is exactly what is needed. Sometimes catching a one-way flight to a random city is what needed. Laughing until you can't breathe or rescuing an animal or making peace within a troubled relationship or learning a new skill...either way you go, all ways, any way...what way(s) will you choose? What will you do with your one wild and precious life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a name with your comment.