Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Resolution: More sleep, with less sleep.

Onto this week and more personal goals:

I know I need about 9 hours of sleep to FULLY function. Don't judge; everybody has different sleep needs, and I happen to be on the longer side of the spectrum. There's real legit material out there about this...which I would cite here, but that's not part of my small resolution this week, so sorry. But feel free to Google it! ;) Now, unlike my husband, my father, and I'm pretty sure my brother, I can't just count back from when I have to get up in the morning and go to sleep at the hour upon which the math lands. I have the female genetics wherein we stay up way the heck too late and then suffer for days when we realize we need more sleep. And when we go to bed at a "reasonable" time, it usually ends up with a lot of brain commotion or a really good book.

If you know me at all, you know this about my sleep habits:

1. I love sleep
2. I am a night owl
3. I love to sleep in

Well, this was all fine and dandy before Little Miss. Now I have to get up in the morning. Mornings. Blech. Luckily, I am blessed with a late sleeper (for a toddler) as she'll tend to sleep until 9:30am. If you'd ask 27-year-old me (really, pick any age of former me...), I would have been aghast at the mere mention of that hour. Morning shouldn't happen until 11am, if it has to happen at all. And while I still tend to agree with her, I don't have that luxury. Instead, I somehow have to reconcile my three big sleep habits. So...this is where it stands:

1. I love sleep.
2. I am a night owl with a bedtime. I am going to try and go to bed between 11pm-12am every night I can...this week.
3. I *get* to sleep in...until 9:30am.

Instead of telling myself, "Sondra, you must go to bed at 10:30pm and wake up at ... to then work out and have a balanced breakfast," I will give myself a range to get into bed (now the pressure is off so I'm not feeling like I have to fall asleep just then) and then I can have a little me time as a bonus since I read in bed (which usually helps me fall asleep...unless it's a really amazing book. Then I'm really in trouble...).

I'm hoping that after a week of this, I'll be better equipped to answer the question, "What if you went to bed at the same time and got up at the same time?" We shall see. I'm counting on my child for the morning part of that question.

Here goes!

And if you happen to notice the posting time, well, keep in mind that I am technically in bed. :)

Until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a name with your comment.