Tuesday, October 22, 2013

A Week in Review: A blow to the knees

I feel like I am 80 years old. I cringe thinking about getting up in the morning because my knees are so stiff and painful. The thought of going downstairs makes me want to crawl back in bed. Each morning I think I'll feel better, and each morning it still hurts. A lot. It's been a month and a half now.

It happened after we went backpacking, but I can't figure out how to fix myself because I'm not altogether sure what's going on. It's not like we hadn't gone backpacking before. I did have new hiking boots, but it wasn't my first time using them. My only thought is this:

I had been wearing my Keens and my super comfortable yoga-mat flip flops almost nonstop this entire summer. Then, when I went backpacking, I actually wore my orthotics (*pats self on back*) and when we hiked down, I also put my knee brace on (*another pat on the back*). I thought I was doing the right thing: good posture and good support. But here's what I actually think happened: My feet/knees/hips rebelled because they were over-corrected after an entire summer of being lazy. (That and my orthotics are about a thousand years old, a.k.a. I got them in high school...and as much as I hate to admit it, probably are doing me more harm than good.)

Ever since that hike down, I haven't been able to bend my knees. I can't kneel. It takes me a long time to just get up and walk to the bathroom or the kitchen.

I used to be able to do this:

Now it hurts to put on socks.

Why, you  may ask, did I not go to a doctor a month ago? Well, I don't believe in doctors much. Or, perhaps I should say I've just been extremely disappointed in them. When I sprained my ankle a few years ago, I put off going in...knowing that they'd just tell me that I needed to rest it and take drugs, etc. It finally got so bad that I went to the urgent care (bad idea). They told me to rest it and take ibuprofen. (Shocker...) That bill ended up being $1000 (the doctor wasn't authorized to read the x-rays so they had to call in a radiologist that I had to pay, the crutches and ankle brace went through different companies which each billed us separately, so on and so forth. Good thing the husband sorted most of that out.) Speaking of  him, let's talk about the time he went into physical therapy for two months for an IT band issue...which the physical therapists actually made worse. And yet we still had to pay a copay twice a week for two months. Or how about the time I tweaked my wrist and it hurt every time I played my instrument? Yep, you guessed it. Multiple doctors appointments, MRIs, x-rays, poking, prodding, and copays, just to be told they "weren't really sure..." which resulted in the option of steroid shots or nothing. I took nothing. What a colossal waste of time, energy, and money.

Now, this isn't a knock against doctors. They definitely have merit and worth in society. Nor is it a tirade against insurance.

But how do you decide when to go into a doctor and why? I feel like if you can rest and recuperate without going into a doctor, then do it. You'll save yourself time and money, and you'll save others time and money.

So what about prolonged injuries like what I now am battling? How do you decide when and where and who to see? Do you go see the doctors just to play a guessing game and be prescribed drugs that you aren't willing to take? Do you try to exercise it out? (Movement, in this case, does seem to be the only thing that sort of helps alleviate pain.) I have rested, iced, heated, compressed, and elevated. And yet nothing. I suppose each day is mildly better, but the slope of improvement is so gradual that I am worried that nothing has changed.

I don't want to go to the doctor just to have them tell me I need to RICE some more. Nor do I want to go and be put through a battery of tests that end up being inconclusive. I would consider physical therapy, but ever since my husband's experience, I am afraid that it'll just be a waste of money AND make me worse.

I guess it's time to go back to RICE and start strength-exercising the muscles in the lower half of my body.

Meanwhile, I have made an appointment with a podiatrist to get new orthotics.


1 comment:

  1. To bad Dr Smith is not on your insurance. He has really helped us. I have also had experiences with therapy that makes the problem worse. Salge.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a name with your comment.