Tuesday, November 9, 2010

NaNoWriMo Week One Complete

It has been a different sort of week. My writing schedule, from about 11pm until 3:30am, has actually been quite productive. David and I would brush our teeth together, then he'd go to work and I'd head to bed! The only time the schedule didn't really work was when I had to be at school to teach clarinet masterclasses at 7:20am. Whew. That was one rough morning and day!

At some point last week, I managed to write almost 4,000 words in one sitting. I just got on a roll and really wanted to finish a certain section--to get my main character through a town and back to the woods. It actually consisted of three or four scenes. I didn't realize I'd written quite that much until I sat down to type it. And I kept typing and typing, turning the pages and wondering when it ended (in a good way). I thought to myself, "I know I've gone over my daily quota. I've probably written about 2500 words." I was shocked when the word count said 3939. I actually thought I'd accidentally selected everything I'd written (it was only day three after all) so I reselected my work and it still came up as almost 4,000! That certainly put me on a high for a day...

...at least until I tried to write again the following night and realized that I didn't really want to write the next section. Nonetheless, I persevered and have been above my daily word quota each time. At this point, my history and projection report on the NaNoWriMo page says I'll reach 50,000 words three days early! Yeeha!

At this point, I am only just over 3000 words away from 20,000. (That was an awkwardly-worded sentence.) I only have one or two more major scenes to write and Part I of my novel will be finished until the editing stage; and I will get to move onto Part II. This is very exciting for me! I know none of you have any idea what my story is even about, nor that I even had a Part I or Part II. And sorry, I don't intend to share more than vague details anyway. The creative types out there, and those who know me well, can understand, I'm sure.

Meanwhile, from here on, the writing schedule will be a tad trickier. Towards the end of week two I will be forced to write in places other than my quiet office where I sit in my papasan chair and have a nice system established. Week three I will be heavily involved with the symphony as it is concert week for both the adult and youth, which translates to lots of rehearsals and a concert both Saturday and Sunday. Then it's Thanksgiving week followed by Nutcracker rehearsals on the final days of NaNo! Thank goodness I have written myself ahead of schedule.

That's the update on my writing mumbo-jumbo at the moment. I am pleased with certain sections and know that other parts will be discarded immediately when I get to the editing stage. However, I think that NaNoWriMo is exactly what I needed to get my butt in gear. And when I finish my 50,000+ words and have a full first-draft of a completed novel in my hands (and I will because I am determined to finish and 'win'), it will prove to myself that I really can complete my novels!

Thanks to everyone who's keeping me on track and focused. I really appreciate all the positive energy and comments and encouragement.

Come December, my inner editor is going to be THRILLED when she's unleashed and allowed the freedom to tear into my writing. I can't wait.

Until the next chance I get to write a blog posting:

Cheers!

(And don't forget that you can now subscribe via e-mail to receive alerts when there are new postings!)

2 comments:

  1. Babe... you amaze me. Reading you last post I could vividly understand what you were talking about. Can't wait to read you novel when its all done :D I'm so proud of you honey :) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. With your determination and passion for this project, I can't wait to see the finished product. You sound very busy, yet still balancing all that life has for you. I hope you kick this novel's butt and gear up for the many more novels to follow!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a name with your comment.